Sunday, October 5, 2014

31 Days to a Complete Home Renovation: Day 5




Today we move to the downstairs of our soon-to-be-not-a-dump-house.  Is that too many dashes?  It felt appropriate as I was typing.

Anyways, let's get this tour started and let's head downstairs...


When you get to the bottom of these stairs, the layout gets insane. Insane, I tell ya!  When you turn left, it opens to a weird mud room, bathroom, and laundry room. But if you turn right, it's a suite.  A suite that you rent out.  For money.  As in, a whole other kitchen is down there.  As in, someone else lives under you and shares your laundry room and could technically come right on up your stairs and get in your fridge if you weren't home.


I've learned, since moving here, that suites are very common.  LOTS (if not, most) people have them because housing costs are so expensive.


But I'm from the south.  Sharing a house sounds...well, it sounds kinda weird to me.   BUT honestly, I would have been willing to have a suite in the right house with the right renters.  This house was just too small for us to keep a suite, what with us having 3 boys and now a 4th kid on the way.  We basically have our own army to house and feed.

Let's see some pictures:

Suite to the right.  Garage/mudroom to the left.


This is the mud room/storage room.  We actually weren't entirely sure what they used it for.



"Hallway" going to the "laundry room".  Can you see it back in there?  A dryer shoved in the corner.




Downstairs bathroom (shared between the owners and renters.):



 Here is the actual suite.  It was a 1-bedroom suite with a kitchen and a little living room.



Here's the kitchen:



Money-Making Tip:
Once again, we sold the appliances from this kitchen.  We didn't get much $ (because, hey, they were OLD), but again...anything helps in a reno.  Selling appliances (and anything else salvageable around the house, like light fixtures) really helped with purchasing the newer appliances (which we bought for cash at a local refurbishing place. More on that later!)


On to the bedroom in the suite:




It's a little weird seeing all of these pictures because it's easy for me to forget what the original layout looked like.  It's so different now!  And I cannot wait to show you!

Come back tomorrow for the beginning of the demolition process.  By the end of day 6, you'll see the floors all gone and a lot of the walls gone to get an open-concept feel. 

Thanks again for stopping by!
See y'all tomorrow,

E

4 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! I can't wait to follow along on this. Our downstairs has a mother-in-law apartment too. When the kids were growing up it was awesome to have an extra kitchen down there. It also has a family room AND a play room down there as well, which was very nice for the kids. And bedrooms and bathroom & laundry room as well.

    The funny thing is - it WAS actually a mother-in-law for awhile, lol! My mom moved in with us for almost seven years after my dad died. We still had access to the laundry room and the kids had access to the playroom and the family room.

    I can't imagine renting it out to a stranger either, as we would have to share the downstairs laundry room. I just don't think I could get used to that, lol! (Though the extra money would be nice).

    I peeked around on here and noticed that you were a PK! :) Pk's are dear to my heart as my husband is a pastor, and so my kids are PK's, lol! Lots of experiences there, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those suites sure are great if you can find someone you trust or (even better!) a family member. Which is probably what I meant when I said I'd have been open to renting it out in the right situation. :) And as you said, the extra $ would be awesome! (Which is exactly why so many people up here rent out their suites or even build a house specifically with a suite for the extra rental income).
      Yep, I'm a PK and it was a great life! I know not all PK's feel that way, but I sure did. Loved every minute of it!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I've been trying to do some laundry renovations, and this gave me some great insight for things to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete