Thursday, October 9, 2014

31 Days to a Complete Home Renovation: Day 9



Today we're gonna talk about really feminine things.  Things that make every woman's heart beat faster and makes her smile get wider.  Yep, you guessed it:  roofing and framing.

Ok, so those aren't feminine things at all.  They're not even fun things.  But, in a renovation, they're necessary.  And I can't remember a time in my life when I was ever so excited to see a new roof on a house.  Until I saw it on our dump of a house.

So here's the thing about a roof: it's like your protection from the elements.   If you're renovating and you have a bad roof...what's the point of renovating the inside?  If it rains, it could potentially ruin all that beautiful hard work on the inside.  So, you gotta get that roof taken care of FIRST.  And we did!

Luckily, we picked a beautiful non-rainy Vancouver week  to have the roofers come and work on the house.  This is one of the few things we did hire out.  NO REGRETS there!

Ryan took off the fascia boards before the roofers came.  (No idea what I'm talking about?  That's ok...I had no idea what they were either.  Look at the base of the roof-line and you'll notice that on the left there's half of a white board missing. But above the ladder the white board is there.  See it?  That white board is the fascia board.)

Anyways!  Ryan took them down before the roofers came.



Here she is half-way through the new roof being put on:





And here is an after picture of the roof all done!  Also, I don't know if this is true everywhere or just in British Columbia, but the roofers also put on the gutters and drain pipes.  Which seemed odd to me, but it was perfect! Unfortunately, as you see in the picture below, they were initially installed in black.  We ordered white.  So they replaced them one day, no problem-o.



Besides roofing, framing is the other thing that makes a woman's heart go pitter-patter.  So you can see in the above picture that our carport is now enclosed in black paper.  That's because we turned it into a garage.  Bam! Framed it in. Oh yes we did!  It's super small, mind you, but we could theoretically fit my Ford Flex in there.  If I didn't care about my kids opening their doors and hitting walls.  Or if I didn't care that I might have to crawl in through the sunroof.  Call me picky, but I do care about those things.  So our garage is used for storage at the moment.  And it's lovely.


Tomorrow I'll do a full-write up on the garage and I'll snap a quick pic to show you what it currently looks like.  I'll even try not to straighten it up so you can see it "for real" and not photo-shopped.

Have a beautiful day and I'll see y'all tomorrow,

Elita

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete